Photograph info



By Laura Hereema Photography

Thursday 7 November 2013

Here I go again...

I'm a small town girl from my beloved hometown of Thunder Bay, ON. For the 2nd time in 10 years, I am back in the city of Toronto, living near the Toronto General Hospital counting on the world-renowned UHN Transplant Team to save my life again. In the struggle to breathe, ironically I have landed in the town known as "the big smoke"! In 2005, after a 22 month wait, I received the gift of a new life in the form of a new heart and both lungs. To this day, I do not know who the generous donor was, nor do I know the loving family who made the ultimate choice to help a stranger. We have exchanged anonymous letters, so I know they are admirable people & that my donor loved life and was truly loved by family and friends. I have done well with my new organs, but while transplant is a gift of health & time, it is not a cure. Over the last 5 yrs, I have developed Chronic Lung rejection or Bronchiolitis Obliterans Syndrome (BOS). As a positive, I will chalk it up to my body having a good immune system & has fought from keeping these new lungs. So....next step for me, another lung transplant. Heart/Lung transplant recipients have received 2nd lung transplants successfully, although it has not been done to date here in Toronto. Yay for me, I just love going first...(argh, hated having a last name that started with B, always front of the line for shots in school!) I hope for mostly positive days, but I could use some support with that. Please forgive me when I do allow myself some pity parties, its all part of the game.

2 comments:

  1. You did it before and you will do it again! We're with you all the way.
    Joe & Marlene (now in her 8th year post double lung transplant)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Carla,

    I didn't know you were sick again. Sorry to hear that and that you are back on the list, but glad at least, that transplant is an option. Praying your new lungs come soon!

    ReplyDelete